Monday, October 25, 2010

Aurora

Aurora, in Latin, means Dawn. Tonight, Monday October 25th, 2010, marks the dawn of a new chapter in our lives. It is 1335 currently and around 2100 I will say goodbye to my wife, sister and our roommate. The last three people to say goodbye to. I was again, trying to think of what this feels like. I told my wife I feel like this whole experience has been like when one decides to be adventurous and go on the big scary ride at the theme park. You see it from a distance and are all pumped up and you march across the park with your chest puffed out, people get in your way and you just blast through because you have business to take care of. Then you get to the queue and suddenly things get real. You want to save face as friends are asking if this was a good idea, but deep down you're like, "Oh Crap I am doing this.". But now you're committed. With us it's a water slide. And now we're both sitting in the rushing water looking down the dark tubes of our slides waiting. Each of the slides twist and turn in different directions and different drops. But, we can't see each other until we come out in the pool at the end.

I guess maybe you had to be one of those kids who gets psyched out from the "Big" rides with scary names like "HELLS HILL" or "BLACK MAMBA'S REVENGE" or "FLESH RIPPER". But once you take the plunge and get through it the Adrenaline rush is awesome.

So here I sit, trying to just relax. My wife is emotional, to be expected. But, for me to see her like that I can't help but feel like I am abandoning her, or hangin her out to dry. I know it's not really like that, but those feelings emerge.

Well, I may or may not have her update this with all the news as she gets my letters or just wait and go through the letters and update all at once. Guess you'll just have to wait and see.

Thank you to all who are and have been reading this. I hope it helps those who are thinking of enlisting or have enlisted and those who have wondered what it's like to enlist or whoever is just plain curious.

Next you actually hear from me and I will be a US Sailor.

No comments:

Post a Comment